Dentures can be fabricated in two different ways. They can either be traditional dentures with no support which over time start losing their good fit and starting getting loose. However, dentures can also be made in such a way that they are supported by dental implants and do not lose their good fit and do not become loose overt time.
At DC Perio & Implants we believe that dental implants and dental implant supported dentures provide a far superior experience compared to dentures. Even dentures that originally fit the patient will begin to slip and become uncomfortable after a while. This is due to the increased bone loss and ridge resorption. It’s difficult to keep any traditional denture continually stable due to wear on the bony ridges that dentures clasp onto. The most frustrating aspect of dentures, and the unhealthiest, is their poor chewing ability. Many patients have to limit their diets because they are unable to chew certain foods with their dentures.
If you are deciding between traditional dentures or an implant-supported dentures, here are some things to consider:
- Dentures often have to be kept in the mouth by using a dental adhesive. This sometimes requires re-glues after meals. An implant-supported denture requires no adhesive and remains strong and stable.
- Dentures have to be removed for cleaning. With the exception of a removable implant-retained denture, your implant-supported denture can be cared for by brushing and flossing similar to natural teeth.
- Dentures cover the roof of the mouth. With implants, there’s nothing covering the roof of your mouth to interfere with your sense of taste, speaking or other normal activities. Implant-supported dentures can also be fabricated without a palate.
- Dentures can slip out while eating or speaking. Implants and implant-supported dentures are securely anchored and won’t slip out or need to be removed.
- It’s hard to chew with dentures and you can’t eat a lot of food you like or need. Dentures can move while you chew, which is inconvenient, and also makes it difficult to chew! In fact, dentures generally have only 10% or less of full chewing power. Dental implants have full chewing power and implant-supported bridges or dentures also considerably increase the chewing power.
- Dentures may click while eating or talking. With implants or implant-supported dentures, there’s no annoying clicking sound.
- Dentures don’t provide the stimulation needed to prevent bone loss. The jawbone needs to have the stimulation of high-pressure chewing to keep its volume. Implants ensure no jaw bone is lost as they provide a function and purpose for the jaw bone.
- Progressive bone loss as a result of wearing dentures can cause facial collapse. Over the years bone loss can cause the collapse of the lower third of your face, creating excessive wrinkles, sagging skin and jowls, thinning lips and a sunken-in look. This can considerably age a person’s appearance. Implants prevent bone loss, and therefore, prevent premature signs of aging.
Therefore, at DC Perio & Implants we believe that perhaps the most significant benefit of dental implants over dentures is that they can preserve bone in the jaw. Implants replace the root of the tooth and stimulate the jawbone, helping it maintain its density. This also can prevent shrinkage of the jawbone, so the integrity of the facial structure stays in tact and keeps you looking younger.
Additionally, from a comfort and performance standpoint, dental implants far outshine dentures. Removable dentures can slip and move around when eating or speaking, causing discomfort and sometimes even embarrassment. Ill-fitting dentures tend to irritate gums and may lead to sores in the mouth. There’s also maintenance to think about. Applying adhesive paste to secure dentures can be tricky and staying on top of regular cleanings can be a chore.
In contrast, dental implants, on the other hand, feel and function more like your natural teeth. You clean and care for them as you would your real teeth. You can eat all the foods you love, speak without fear or worry, and confidently go about your day never thinking twice about your teeth. Dental implants bring a level of freedom and confidence that may be hard to imagine as a denture wearer.
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of dental implants vs. dentures, schedule a consultation at DC Perio & Implants today. There’s no obligation or no commitment. At DC Perio & Implants we not only strive for utmost oral health but also want to ensure your utmost comfort. Visiting our practice is just a great way to become more comfortable with dental implants and learning more what this option can provide you with.
not only strive for the utmost oral health but also
Implant-supported dentures provide far greater stability and chewing power than conventional dentures.